Thursday, February 1, 2007

On Safari

As I look back at the photos I took in Kenya, it's hard to believe I was actually there. I'm amazed by the beauty that's so rich on our planet, and grateful to have seen some of this beauty firsthand. Enjoy!

On one of the days of the trip, a group of us went on a safari in Nairobi National Park. Safari, directly translated means journey. Nairobi National Park sits just outside of the capital city, making it an interesting and unique place for a safari. In some of my pictures you'll notice the Nairobi skyline as the backdrop to the wildlife that has been protected.





I feel in love with the acacia trees in Kenya. I must have taken about 50 photos just of these trees.





Giraffes are my new favorite creatures--next to my beloved turtles, of course.



Someone in our group spotted this lion through the grassy plains and began screaming with excitement. Our bus hit the brakes and went back to check it out. Everyone reverted to their infancy, with shrieks of joy. At last we had spotted one of the Big Five.











While every other group on safari drove through the savanna on special safari vehicles, our group took the slightly more ghetto method of transit--a city bus called Citi Hoppas. Our guide even poked fun of us by saying that the animals kept still when we passed by because they were not used to the big green monstrousity!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are amazing! These images are what I think of when you say Africa. They have inspired me to buy a digital camera. Yes, I am only 10 years behind the times.