Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Kenyans struggle for peace

I began this blog at about this time last year in Nairobi, Kenya. What a difference a year makes. Since mid-December East Africa's most economically stable nation has been the center of post-election turmoil and bloody violence. News reports have estimated more than 500 deaths.

Just a year ago I joined representatives from around the world and gathered in Nairobi for the World Social Forum, where we talked about social change and solidarity. That's why it is heartbreaking that so many people have lost their lives fighting for their livelihoods. Kenya and its people made a powerful impact in my life, and it is painful to watch the death toll climb while the good friends I made there are struggling to make it through the day.


I've been communicating with a good Kenyan friend I made while I was there. Thankfully, he and his family are still alive. He has not been able to leave his home to go to work and says that most of the downtown area has been shut down for days. People have been looting, and there is definitely tension and uncertainty all around.

I also can't help and think that what is happening in Kenya could have easily happened in Mexico during last year's post-presidential upset. Millions of PRD (or leftists) supporters took to the streets in protests and took over the Zocalo, or main city square, and the city's major street of Reforma. PRD presidential candidate Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador called for nonviolent protests, and thankfully lives were not lost.

Kenyan president has called for negotion dialogues this week. I pray for the best. I leave you with some photos from my trip there when the situation was inspiring, beautiful and full of hope.

CLICK ON THIS BLOG TITLE FOR A CNN REPORT FROM NAIROBI ABOUT HOW POLITICS AND TRIBAL ALIANCES ARE INTERTWINED

No comments: