Friday, July 13, 2007

Colonialism


It came to me as I was walking down the cobble stone streets of the city of Zacatecas--is it wrong for me to love the charm of colonial cities? Let me back up. Since living in Mexico, we've had the opportunity to visit cities off all kinds- indigenous, rural, urban and on this trip even Mennonite. Some of the most breathtaking places have been colonial cities, the cities that Spanish conquistadores settled into after discovering the rich minerals in Mexico's earth--gold or silver. Some of these cities, like Mexico City, were slashed of their indigenous peoples to make way for unbelievable cathedrals filled with gold plated saints, pulpits, etc.

So as I walked around the outdoor cafes, quaint narrow, winding streets, and European-style plazuelas, I can't help but think about all the sacrifices our indigenous ancestors had to endure and how complex my inner identity struggle becomes the more I explore this beautiful country, my motherland.

No comments: